Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We Interupt this Visit from the Beach for a Flight Lesson

We had a request to share this project we did this past summer. So we will take a little break from the beach for a flight lesson.
We were getting ready for our yearly visit to the Aerospace Museum. This was in June during a time when Junior was struggling with his health, you can tell in the pictures and video he was having a tough time. I am just cutting and pasting this from the blog post we did over on his personal blog.
Todays project was learning about air propelled motors/ planes(this idea came courtesy of the Nasa website, they have some wonderful, and simple to do projects for all ages)
This evening we strung a string across the living room and Junior had fun flying paper airplanes across it. First he colored his plane and then we taped a drinking straw to the inside so it would slide smoothly over the string. Lastly we taped an inflated balloon to the bottom and then let it go.

I want to add that I remember Junior really enjoyed just pushing the plane back and forth across the string but it was difficult to connect the balloon very well. What worked best was to just tape the inflated balloon to the straw and then let it go. We had fun trying to see how far we could get it to go(in fact if I recall I blew up the balloon and we wrote his name on it and a few other decorations before we set it in motion). I plan to do this again now that Junior is doing so much better and let him have two so he can race them with Abigail(thank you for reminding me about this Maria)
This video is not good, but at least you will get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I showed this to Jojo's Dad and he said he might try it tomorrow. Good night.

    ReplyDelete