Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ambucs AmTryke

Junior on his AmTryke
A few years ago we started looking for an adapted bike for Junior. I quickly found that they were outrageously priced and there was no way we could afford to just go out and purchase one. I then found the Ambucs link and was so excited to see that they had a wish list and would help with funding a bike. I downloaded the forms, had Junior's PT sign them and then faxed them to Ambucs. Within a very short time we had confirmation that Junior had been placed on their wish list and it was only a few months before I was notified that Junior's bike had been funded and was on its way to us. Junior started out riding very short distances but soon worked up to riding over a half mile. He loves his bike and we ride as often as possible. It has strengthened his muscles as well as keeping them from getting too tight. I can always tell when he has been sick and unable to ride.

We are so thankful to ambucs and their wonderful program. They have allowed Junior to enjoy one of those things that every child should enjoy. If you need an adapted bike for your child or if you would like to fullfill a childs wish for a bike go visit their wonderful site.

Here are some pictures and a video of Junior on his bike. Each bike is adjusted to meet the childs needs(laterals, head rest, etc). On Junior's bike both the handles and pedals go around when it is pushed but some are solely hand driven if needed.
(pics are from last summer, his personal blog regularly has pics of him riding, we try to ride a few times a week even during the winter)
Lastly a short video of the bike in action

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful GIFT! Love the video - especially when he starts smiling. So great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool bike, Heidi! I wish Faith could do that, I know she would love the movement of the bike! But it is so ridiculous- the prices. I would like to try to do this for her one day! Junior sure does seem to get a big kick out of riding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, that is SO AWESOME!!! I would love an Ambucs for Dakin...there is a group around here that fill fund, so I'm hoping when he's older to get one.

    YAY JUNIOR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the link is wrong, maybe they changed it... http://ambucs.org

    ReplyDelete