I am sure many of you know how to adapt toys with a battery interrupter but I thought I would share for those who are new to adapting.
First off you need a battery interrupter which you can purchase at Enabling Devices for around $12(they can also be found at most the other special needs providers). I am sure if you had the parts and tools you could make theses yourself, something I want to attempt in the near future.
This is a battery interrupter, the one with the small disc is for AA batteries and the large disc is for C & D batteries.
For this simple type adaption you need a toy with an on/off switch. I picked a bubble blower up for Junior this week and it was perfect for adapting.Open the battery compartment and slide the disc at the end of the interrupter cable between the end of the battery and the toy(the end where the spring is, is easiest).
Cut a notch in the battery cover for the cord and then put the battery cover back on the toy.
Attach your switch and thats it, you are all done. In this picture we are using a flat plate switch(for use with your hand) but Junior generally uses his head switch.
Here are a couple other toys we have adapted this same way.


I am still learning to do the more complicated toy adaptions so that will have to wait for a future post. If anyone has gotten the trick down I would love for you to do a post and share so we can all learn.


They use these alot in therapy with Faith, Heidi! Her old PT went to a class to learn how to do them and she made a whole bunch of them. Faith like the bubble machine one, too! I would like to try one, one day. They are really cool!
ReplyDelete