Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Experiencing Life Differently, the Beach(part 1)

We all want our kids to experience as much of life as possible but for some kids getting out to have those experiences is not possible. Doesn't mean they can't have those experiences we just have to find a different way to provide them.

A few months ago we decided that Junior was going to visit the beach even if it meant that the beach had to come to us. So for several weeks his school work and craft time all focused around beach things. I will have to do 2-3 posts about our "beach" activities since it would make for a much to long single post.
For any visit from the beach you need some sand toys
And of course some sand(we used moon sand)
Can't forget the sunglasses, swim trunks, beach chair, umbrella, towel, fish, hmmm I am sure I am missing something, oh yes, water to cool off your feet in.

Junior's beach themed math included these fun flashcards that open up
Along with addition using sea creatures. We added a tiny piece of velcro to the back of foam sea creature shapes. The board is a piece of foam board with strips of velcro. We printed giant numbers off and laminated them, then added velcro to the back of each one.
We also used the sea creatures to work on following patterns, and several other math concepts.
Each day we ended our beach visit with reading time which of course also focused on our beach theme.
Tomorrow I will share more about Junior's visits from the beach.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heidi, I love this! My heart bleeds ocean water, so this is wonderful to me! I am always inspired to read all your wonderful tricks, ideas, adaptations and creativity that you come up with! Gotta go.....have to find some moon sand!

    ReplyDelete