Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday's Game (Cars, Tip the Tractors)

I was going to share our adapted Sorry but Junior totally loves this new game so we will save Sorry for another week.
This past weekend I was on the hunt for some new games for Junior. Lately he is wanting to play at least one game each day and with the few we have we desperately needed something new.
I found the Cars, Tipping Tractors game and Junior was so excited to give it a try.

First I got the game spinner adapted. If your child likes games this is something worth investing in. It is the All-Turn-It Spinner by Ablenet(can be found in most special needs catalogs). We have used it for much more then just games. When Junior was younger it was used to help him learn his shapes and colors, we even use it at times when he is painting to add a little fun to choosing a color. It has a small button on the front to activate it or a switch can be plugged into it(Junior uses his head switch to activate it). If your child is on home instrcution and this would help with their educational needs you might want to talk to their teacher or speech therapist about purchasing it for them. Junior's speech therapist got this one for him. Having the game spinner will make adapting games so much easier and give you more variation on the games you can adapt.

The spinner had a dice type overlay so we just used our printer to copy the tractor picture from the dice in the game, then enlarged the picture and added it to the spinner.
I put some strips of velcro on the back of the game board so it can be hung on Junior's game easel .
Then velcro was added to the front of the game board. I first measured the space between the wheels of the game pieces(just the actual playing pieces, not the little tractors). I wanted the cars to ride over the velcro so it would fit between the wheels.
We used circles of velcros on the spaces where a tractor needed to be placed(this is because the velcro covers up the tiny tractor symbol showing you where to place them).
Each of the little tractors got a piece of velcro on one of the wheels(side of the wheel), each playing piece got a strip on the base between the wheels(lengthwise).
Now lets play.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped over from the Kidz blog and just love this site! You have so many great ideas and share them in a way that makes it easy for us to reproduce them - thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi you are right Sky would love this game, I havent seen it any where, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete