Thursday, January 14, 2010

Look No Hands(Painting)

A little over a year ago we discovered that Junior didn't need his hands to be able to paint. He has always loved to paint but it was a "hand over hand" activity for him. Then it hit me that he can use his head for his head switch why not paint that way.
A strip of elastic and some velcro worked for a head strap but the paint brush took some work. I couldn't find anything that a paint brush would fit into tightly enough and just attaching the brush to the elastic put it too close to Junior's head so he couldn't see what he was doing. Finally I discovered that if I pulled the insides out of a marker and then pushed a little putty down inside the tube, that the end of the paint brush fit in it perfectly. On the back end of the marker I attached a small piece of plastic tubing(this was a piece from the straw of a water bottle). We cut a few slits in the elastic and slid the marker into it. It isn't perfect but it works for Junior for now, I am going to pick up a sports headband next time I am at the store and see if that wouldn't work better for him.
Click here Junior's blog to go to the post from the first time Junior used his paintbrush,
this post also shows Junior doing some painting.
These pictures are from over the past year and help show the paint brush setup that he wears
This is his brush with headstrap but the pictures of him wearing it actually show it better.

3 comments:

  1. This is soooo cool! Love the ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE seeing his painting pictures...especially with him in the act. I know I say it often, but WOW - you are amazing. (and now that I have a minute to breathe, I promise I will get my donation in...sorry I've been neglecting that) xoxo

    ReplyDelete