This jacket opens up the back so getting it on or off is not an issue.
I have found that the easiest jacket to adapt is a fleece non-hooded one so I will start with that type.
Lay the jacket flat and cut a slit up the back from the bottom all the way to the top.Sew a seam down the cut edges so the material does not start to unravel(I was out of yellow thread but it would have made the seam invisible).
Fold over one side and place a strip of velcro on the underside(side which would be against your child). Be sure to use the soft side of the velcro for this part so if it comes undone and ends up against the skin it won't cause a scratch.On the opposite side place a strip of velcro(scratchy side) on the outside edge of the jacket.
You can use one long strip or a few smaller strips, either way just pin on the velcro and then sew it down(I am not a seamstress so don't look too close).

The second type jacket that I have adapted for Junior is a regular hooded coat style. Not sure if this would work with a really heavy coat unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine.
Lay the coat flat and cut a slit up the back from the base to just below where the hood starts.Sew a seam on the cut edge so the material does not start to unravel.
Pin on the velcro the same as with the other coat and then sew it into place.

With this style I have found it easiest to place the hood over Junior's head before placing his arms through the sleeves. If I am in a hurry and know he will want the coat taken off in the car I sometimes just leave his arms out of the sleeves and just tuck it around him.I have been adapting his coats, hoodies, and fleece jackets like this for several years and can't imagine trying to get him into them the normal way now.
Be sure to close the velcro before washing so it doesn't pick up a bunch of lint and then not hold like it should.


What a cool idea! Very good pictures, too! I may be stealing your idea, very soon!
ReplyDelete