Recently I found this Cat In The Hat/Dr. Seuss game and loved the sensory aspect of it.
It was on clearance so I picked it up and decided to see what I could do to make it work for Junior. Though it is for the younger crowd it does not have the baby look so we just made sure to leave out anything that would make him think it was for little kids. He was never a Dr. Seuss fan so doesn't realize the stripped red hat is from a little kids book.
The game is played by having one player place an object in the hat(this can be pretty much anything such as a toy, piece of clothing, beads, ball, etc) and the other players draw cards to help them try to figure out what the object is. The cards have a variety of clues or things to do. Some cards ask yes/no questions about the object while others give the player an action to do to help guess. Such as lift the hat, look through the flap on the side of the hat, reach into the hat with one finger, press on the hat with your elbows, etc. The winner is the person who guesses the item. A very simple game that you could easily create yourself and make your own cards for. I love the hands on sensory aspect of the game and I think Junior is going to get a big kick out of it. We may also do "themed" games where all the objects he has to figure out are centered around one basic theme such as super heroes, a holiday, letters, numbers, etc.
To adapt it for Junior we started with his switch adapted game spinner. Click here if you want to know more about the spinner. I used the same overlay as for many of his other games so it already had velcro pieces around it.
I then placed velcro on the back of each of the playing cards
The cards are then attached to the spinner(only a few cards will fit at a time, so each time he figures out whats in the hat we will change cards before the next round, or if he has gone through all the clues and still can't figure it out) and now it is all set and Junior can take his turn by hitting his head or hand switch to spin the wheel and choose a card.
I then looked around for objects that Junior is familiar with and I am sure I will find more objects to use and may even place a large ziplock bag with water beads or insta snow in the hat for him(of course only one object is placed in the hat at a time)
With Junior being non verbal I set his ipad up with all the possible items in the hat. The picture only shows 4 but if you scroll down there are actually 11 choices at the moment.
Now everything is ready to play
I will come back and add pictures to the post after we try the game out.


I love it!! I can't wait to see pictures and try the game out for myself!
ReplyDelete