Junior had an OT assessment last week to look at the equipment and figure out what modifications needed to be made to keep his arms safe. Though we have a plan and eventually the equipment will get the modifications it will likely be quite some time(possibly several months) before we get insurance authorization to get things done. In the mean time we have to keep Junior from injuring his arms if at all possible. I first looked at his equipment to see exactly where he was getting his arms caught or what he was hitting to cause bruising.
I then went to the hardware store and picked up some thick foam pipe covering. It already has a slit down the side as well as a sticky edge. So far we have used it on his shower chair and wheel chair but I still need to see if I can make it work for his stroller.
This picture shows how his arm gets behind his chair. In the picture he actually is just letting it hang but much of the time he pulls it up behind the chair which is where he is hurting himself the most.
His shower chair was the first place I started with the padding.
On the side of the chair are some bolts. Junior has managed to bruise himself on several occasions no matter how close I watch his arms and try to keep them from hitting the side.
It is by no means perfect and I may go back to the hardware store and see if they have a much bigger piece of pipe cover but for now it will do the trick.
Next it was on to his wheel chair. When he gets excited and tries to reach something he kind of flings his arm out. He then pulls it back but does not have the motor control to stop his arm and it swings behind him. He then tries to pull it back and that is when it smacks the bar on the side and ends up bruised.
This side of the chair was very simple to fix because the pipe cover just popped right over the bar and fit perfectly. Clearly I can't pad everything but this is the main spot where he hits his arm.
The other side was more challenging. He has an oxygen tank holder bolted to the other side so the bar has bolts sticking out making it much wider. I used two pieces like I did with the shower chair and had them overlap.
I then added some duct tape strips to the back(where it won't show) to be sure it stays in place.
We can't wait to get the equipment permanently modified but this will work for now. I will be sure to share pictures once we have the actual modifications done.



No comments:
Post a Comment