Thursday, May 10, 2012

Water Gun Painting

Not too long ago we picked up some of the small water guns and Junior thought we needed to fill them with paint. 
Today we went outside and did some squirt gun artwork. 

A little warning before I share our art project.  This is a very, very, and did I mention very messy project.  Be sure you are outside and quite aways from the nearest wall or other surface(that you prefer not to get splattered with paint).  Also be sure the paper is a long enough distance from you, being too close creates even more splattering paint.  Yes, we learned some of this the hard way.  That said the mess was oh so very worth it and Junior had a blast. 

We used 3 small squirt guns and filled them with 3 different colored paints. 
I started by mixing some paint and a few drops of water.  You want the paint thin enough to use with the squirt gun but not so thin that it just runs down your paper. 
I then drew up the paint into a large syringe(I am sure you could find other ways to do this if you don't have medical supplies around the house) and squirted it into the water gun.
These are fairly small and hard for Junior to hold.  Also the lever you press to fire the paint ends up pinching his finger when I am trying to help him.  We placed a wrist size sweat band on the handle of each gun.  We made sure it covered the trigger and then it was very easy for Junior to hold and for me to help him shoot.
  
This picture was prior to us realizing we needed the paper further from Junior and further from the house.  It still lets you see how we set it up.  We covered Junior's chair as well as the little table holding the paper in large vinyl picnic table covers. 
 Now he is ready to have some water gun fun.

 One of his finished paintings.  Junior loved doing this and I would have to say it probably goes in our top 3 favorite ways to paint.   We will certainly be doing this project several times over the summer.  

5 comments:

  1. Very summery! It looks like fireworks at night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We are going to borrow your idea but try using sidewalk paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks like so much fun!!! I can't use water guns in school though.... hmmm i wonder if I could get by with the ones that look like animals....

    Caitlin
    Learning Ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! We will definitely use it this summer, outside, with some of our kids!
    For other OT ideas, visit:
    therapyfun4kids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete