Friday, November 16, 2012

Switch Adapted Foam Dart Gun

As Junior has gotten older it has become very hard to find appropriate switch adapted toys that he does not think are "baby".  His wonderful teacher gave him a gift card back at his birthday and we have been on the hunt for something "big kid" that is adaptable.
Today a box arrived with what we had picked out and hoped would turn out to be adaptable.

I messed with it and tried some different things to try and ensure it was adaptable before I actually did any changes to the gun. I didn't want to realize it couldn't be adapted at a point when I could also no longer return it.  Most nerf type guns require a trigger press each time you fire and in that case there is no way to switch adapt it(at least not that I have worked out).  This is the only gun I found that is "automatic" so will fire with the trigger continually pressed.  This is not as high quality as a real nerf gun but it could be adapted which is what mattered(Junior is not running around with it or dropping it so it should hold up for him just fine).

I started with a battery interrupter- the style for AA batteries, a screw driver, small knife, and velcro.  A switch to test it out as you go along is also needed.

Here is the foam dart gun we got.  The darts are soft with a suction cup tip so will stick to smooth surfaces(also will not hurt anyone or break things).  I am going to make a target for Junior out of foam board and they should stick easily to it.  
 Open the battery pack and slide in the disc attached to the battery interrupter.  With this gun I had to keep playing with it to get it working.  Which battery it was against made a difference and even the angle.  I just kept messing with it and testing it with the switch until it worked.  (remember you will need to press the trigger while hitting the switch to get the gun to activate at this point in the adapting).  I then cut a notch in the battery door for the battery interrupter cord. 
 I put a small piece of industrial strength velcro on the back of the handle behind the trigger. 
 I then used a piece of sew on velcro(so there is no adhesive on the back) to wrap aroud the trigger and hold it down.  This allows you to just open the velcro if you need to release the trigger for some reason. 
 When I was initially shooting the gun with the switch it kept jamming and then just stopping.  I messed with it and tried different things and was getting a bit frustrated.  I then discovered that if I put a foam dart in every other slot instead of every slot I no longer had the problem.  Also when playing with this with the switch the switch needs to be pressed for at least a couple seconds to get good shots.   If you just touch and release the internal motor doesn't get enough power to shoot the dart out very far if at all.  Not a problem for Junior since he loves to hold down the switch on his adapted squirt gun so he can really spray down his target.  
 I set it in this plastic shoe box to keep it from tipping but need to find a more secure way to hold it on Junior's tray.  Even in the box it tips to the side a bit when fired.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I am considering a strap across the top with velcro but not sure if that will work very well. 
Now a short video of it in action, I was trying to film and operate it.  Junior hasn't seen it yet but I know he is going to be one excited kid. Not perfect but it works and thats what matters.
 

I would love any other ideas for "big kid" switch adapted items.  He does have a power link so can use his switch for his tape player, radio, lights, mixer, etc. but he still likes to be able to play with some toys and most of the ones he has he considers too "baby" for him(still can't believe his favorite switch adapted dino was moved to his memory box because he decided it was now a baby toy, it was his very first ever switch toy).  

**Update**  I have since found a gun that works much better for this adaption.  Please see my switch adapted foam dart gun revisited for the update.   This new gun does not get jammed and functions more smoothly and easily for Junior.








4 comments:

  1. You're aware that this toy, if you sold it, would be worth about $750 right???? And you are so gratiously giving away your secrets. Thank you so so so much! I'm actually going to make this for my daughter - she's always been a bit of a tom boy, her (typical) brother is just 16 months older than her and I know she is just dying to play with him and his friends, this is perfect! I especially like how you found the exact gun that this would work with because I tried this already with another one and it just didn't work - thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was posted 3 years ago and it is still helping people! I agree with The MacDonald Family! You are amazing for sharing this! I have a 10 year old student, "Sam" he does not have any fingers (due to an accident). My husband and I were trying to find a way to modify a nerf gun for him. We are buying one for his brother and without thinking I was going to get one for "Sam," too. My husband reminded me that "Sam" does not have fingers and cannot pull the trigger! My search online began and I was surprised that I could not find anything online. THEN I FOUND THIS!!!! I am in Assistive Technology field and I have the switches and battery interrupters. I cannot wait to try this!!!! "Sam" is going to be so excited to be able to play with his brother!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there thanks so much for visiting and leaving your message. I added a quick update to this post with a link to a post I did a bit more recently revisiting this. It shares about a different gun we found that adapts and works more smoothly with the switch.

      Delete