Sunday, November 11, 2012

Adapted Sweatshirt/Jacket revisited

This week Junior got a nice, heavy hooded sweatshirt in the mail from grandma and papa.  We rarely need anything heavier than this in our area of the country so this is perfect as his winter jacket.   Tonight I got it out and adapted it like I do all his jackets. It is so much easier to put a jacket/sweatshirt on from the front with Junior.  I don't have to fight to get his arms in if they are tight and it can easily be put on while Junior is in any of his equipment. 

I did a previous post about jacket adapting but decided to revisit it since I have made a few changes over the years and also took more step by step pics this time. 
The hooded sweatshirt
 I cut up the center of the back from the bottom to about an inch from the hood.  I then did a zig zag stitch along each side to keep the material from unraveling.
 Stitch all the way to the seam for the hood on each side.
 Pin velcro into place on each side.  I always put the rough side of the velcro on the outside so if it is not fastened there is no way for the scratchy velcro to end up against the skin.  The soft side of the velcro goes to the underside of the shirt on the opposite side.
 Stitch the velcro in place and thats all there is to it. 
    
I put the hood over Junior's head first and then slide his arms in. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so fantastic! I am definitely going to do this for a couple of Max's cold weather shirts!!!

    ReplyDelete