I am sure there is a more high tech way to do this(someday I will find someone really good at electronics to teach me how to figure it all out) but this way worked. We have several battery interrupters on hand(these can be bought through one of the special needs catalogs) and needed the one for AA batteries for the water gun we have.
I opened the battery compartment and slid the interrupter against one end of one of the batteries. Then I looked to see where the best spot to run the cord out of the compartment would be. For this gun it seemed to be the top corner of the compartment. I used a knife to carve a small notch for the cord and then secured the top on the battery compartment. I decided to wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the cord right where it comes out of the battery compartment. Not necessary but makes it a bit more sturdy and secure. I then used a zip-tie to hold the trigger down and wrapped a piece of electrical tape around it.
On Junior's stander tray, he was playing with it inside today.
Turning it on with his head switch
Being serious as he checks out the target and fires, can you see the stream of water?
This was a huge hit with Junior and we can't wait to try it outside.
Junior likes the big gun but getting it to sit on his tray so he could play outside was a challenge. I found this mini version and adapted it the same way. It has been perfect and a pool noodle works as the perfect stand. He can even move the angle of the gun up or down just buy pushing the noodle. He has had a blast playing outside with this one and having squirt gun battles.
The feeding syringe in the pic is what I was using for a squirt gun.

Update 7/16/12
Thank you to an awesome blog follower for sharing this link. It is a DIY guide to switch adapt this water gun using direct switching and not the battery adapter. Now I need to hunt down the parts so I can try this. Switch Adapted water gun.


OneSwitch has a DIY tute this week on adapting the same water watergun with direct switch access instead of a battery interrupter if you are interested. It's cool that there are many roads to the same goal!
ReplyDeletehttp://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2012/07/diy-switch-adapted-nerf-thunderstorm.html
My husband and his friend were talking about how to do this for Max just the other day! I'll have to show him this post!
ReplyDelete