Sunday, July 24, 2011

Experiencing Life Differently - Camping (Fishing Pole)

Now that we have our tackle box, worms, and fish we need a fishing pole.
A children's fishing pole with a velcro or magnetic attachment on the line would work. We didn't have one available though so we used the cardboard roll from some wrapping paper. I placed a small hole near one end and put some yarn through it for our fishing line. I tried tying a knot in the yarn but had made my hole too large so even with a huge knot it pulled right out. I then found some black electrical tape and wrapped the end of our pole so the yarn would stay put(also looks cool).
At the end of our yarn we attached a large fishing bobber
I first tried placing a magnet on the bottom to catch our fish but the size magnets we had would not pick up the fish. I then added a piece of velcro to the bottom of the bobber and it worked perfectly.A piece of vlecro was then added to each fish(we used white so it is barely noticeable)
I asked Junior what color he wanted to paint his pole and was told "NO". I think that would be the first time he has ever told me no when it comes to painting. I realized that he knows if he paints it we have to wait on it to dry to be able to use it and I suspect that was why he didn't want it painted.
We wrapped the end in yellow electrical tape so he would have a easy to hold handle and thats it.
We placed the fish on a piece of poster board which was painted blue and were all ready to fish
The fishing line(yarn) is rolled around the pole because it was too long for use while in his chair. We made it long enough for him to also fish in his stander.
My little fisherman

Today it was just fishing for fun since it is the weekend. Tomorrow we will use it during our school session and introduce our learning games with it.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea and such a cute fisherman.

    ReplyDelete