Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Experiencing Life Differently - Camping (Fish, Fish, Fish)



We did our tackle box math project a few days ago and of course if you have a tackle box you have to have some fish to catch.

The past week or so Junior has been making fish during arts and craft time. We use a different method for painting/decorating each fish and it has been lots of fun to come up with new ways to decorate our fish(some of these you have likely seen before). We will be using our fish for math and reading games(which I will share about in our next post).

For fish patterns I just put "fish pattern"or "fish outline" into google search. I found several fish outlines that would work for our projects.

We started with tie dye fish. You will need - A fish outline, coffee filters, tape, spray bottle, markers, paper towels, and scissors.
Place your fish pattern on a water proof surface(we used one of Junior's wedges so it also tilted it so Junior could see it). Put a couple small pieces of tape around the edges to hold it in place.
Cover your fish with coffee filters, I placed a few pieces of tape to hold these in place as well.
Using markers(Junior used dot markers) color on the coffee filters
Then use a spray bottle to spritz your artwork with water
We then used a paper towel to gently dab it to get rid of excess water.
Remove the coffee filters and let it dry
We then cut it out and laminated it
Then it was bubble fish(next time we will be sure to use more then one color)
You will need - dish soap, water, food coloring, a straw, and a fish outline
We mixed a little water and soap together and added a couple drops of food coloring
Junior can't do the blowing part so I blew through the straw to create lots of bubbles
We then laid our fish outline over the top of the bubbles. I would recommend using more then one color. Ours turned out just looking a little green but you can't really see the color that much.
I may try it with paint powder next time instead of food coloring.
Now to Junior's favorite fish. Painting with worms.
You will need - fish outline, paint, rubber worms/grubs.
We dipped the worm in the paint and dragged it across the fish.
Our next fish(sorry I don't have pictures of the step by step) was decorated using tissue paper/crate paper.
You will need crate paper/tissue paper, fish outline, glue, paint brush.
cut or tear the tissue paper into small pieces, paint your fish with glue and then sprinkle on the pieces of paper. All our fish so far(Junior has a few more to make and I will add those here when we do)

Next up fishing for words

No comments:

Post a Comment