Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Experiencing LIfe Differently - Camping (Tackle Box Math)

If you are going camping you have to go fishing as well. Today Junior made a tackle box for some "Tackle Box Math".

We made quite a few changes so this would fit our needs but the original idea came from the MailBox Magazine.

Supplies - an egg carton(12 or 18 count size), a thin sheet of foam(2 colors), paint, glue, scissors, white paper, marker, fishing bobbers
Before starting I cut out several small circles(one for each egg holder) and added a number to each one. Then I cut out a piece of thin foam the same size as the top of the egg carton
Add two small slits to the top. Cut a second piece of foam to use for a handle and slide each end into the slits. Tape the ends to the bottom.
Paint the egg carton
Once it is dry glue the foam piece to the top
Add your numbered circles
Toss in a couple fishing bobbers and you are all set. Close the box and shake. Open the box and the two numbers the bobbers landed on are the numbers to be added or subtracted(For Junior we will be using his felt board to do the actual addition/subtraction problem). You could also put a number on each bobber and have the child match the number on the bobber to the number in the egg cup.
Sleepy but smiling boy with his tackle box

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I am going to have to work on one with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea is so great! Will share on Facebook. Thanks for your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest creating a built up handle for the brush and the handle on the tackle box. I have used the handles on detergent bottles in this way. This article explains how: http://www.brighthub.com/education/special/articles/62156.aspx
    Barbara Smith M.S., OTR/L
    The Recycling Occupational Therapist

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will post this awesome activity on my facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Recycling-Occupational-Therapist/113805848640610?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete