Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Experiencing Life Differently - Camping (How Many Worms)

How many worms do Junior's hungry fish want?

We are using the fish we made for a reading game but also for a math game as well.

For this game you will need - fish we made in the previous posts, a set of numbers laminated(I should clarify that I do not have machine to laminate so I use clear contact paper) with velcro on the back, worms(I copied several and Junior helped color them) with a number on each one, something to use as a fishing pole with a magnet on the end of the line.
This can of course be adjusted to fit your childs needs. For Junior we use his felt board so everything can be up in front of him.
I place one number on the board with the + sign and = sign.
I tell Junior that, that is how many worms we already have but the fish is really hungry and wants more. We need to catch a fish to see how many worms he wants.
I attach a number to the back of each fish
then turn them number side down
We "catch" a fish and look to see how many More worms he wants
that number gets added to our math problem and then Junior tells me how many worms the fish wants in all.
We will also do this for subtraction but telling him that his fish are really full and don't want so many worms. We will them subtract the number on the back of the fish we "catch" to see how many total worms the fish wants.

Junior is worn out after some very busy but wonderful days with friends. If he is up to it we will be making our fishing pole to use with our fish games.

No comments:

Post a Comment