I thought I would share about Junior's overhead lift to let others know what is available.
We live in an apartment so the Hoyer lift was not even an option.
Our Regional Center Worker came out with the OT for an assessment and to see what was available to help with lifting(also what would work with our space). It took about a year to get through all the red tape and get it funded(insurance had to do their own assessment and then deny it so that Regional Center could make the purchase) but finally it arrived.
Being in an apartment we can't mount anything to the ceiling so it was determined that the portable overhead lift was best. We have the Easy Track legs in Junior's bedroom and our living room and the Voyager motor(the motor is not heavy and we just move it to the room where it is needed).
A leg is placed on each side of the room, it unscrews and is held in place by pressure. A track is then placed between these legs.
These pictures will show how it works far better then I could ever describe it.
The legs running across his bedroom. These pics are from the day that we got it so since then the room has been rearranged so their is more space under the track(the track can be extended to the needed width)
This was Juniors very first ride in his lift. You slide the sling under him and with a little practice you can get it under him in most every piece of equipment(even his bike).There is a hand control about the size of a tv remote, with that you can lower the motor so the straps from the lift sling can be attached.

Junior thinks the lift is his own personal roller coaster and loves to go for rides in it.
Another thing that works great with the lift is a standing sling. I love being able to help him walk back and forth across the room but not be struggling to hold up his weight.
Junior is now 70 lbs but his lift makes it possible for him to still do all the things he loves. He can still play on the floor, ride his bike, and get in his stander and will continue to be able to do these things no matter how big he gets.Here is a link to show the lift and options to go with it. There are lots of places where this can be purchased so this is just one. We were able to get ours funded and some insurances may cover this. Voyager lift


Isnt tryong to figure out what will work the best so much fun(you hear my sarcasm right lol)...We were trying to figure out a system for our home too and just barely were able to get the hoyer as it just fit the corners of the hallway. We never did find a lift that would work for our bath and are still waiting after 4 months to get the bath/shower chair you had recommended to us months ago. We were looking at overhead lifts but they were going to be a lot of work as we have tons of drop downs between doorways.
ReplyDeleteJunior looks so happy in his lift...I love that he can use it for standing support to do all the fun activities!
I remember this from our visit. His lift is awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe've had this on "order" for a few months now. Because we rent our house, we have the same issues of not being able to fix it to the ceiling. We are mostly needing a lift for his bath time. Right now, I can't lift him in the bath by myself. So, when my husband is out of town, I have to bathe Max with buckets in the living-room.
ReplyDeleteWe do have a hoyer, but it's such a pain! I really only use it when Steve is out of town and I just can't lift him as much. I hope we can get the voyager soon!