With a medically complex child there are certain things that are a necessary part of life. Underpads are one of those items and I have always hated how they looked. Though they are used at night we don't often need them during the day so when we do a certain child is not happy about it and lets me know his feelings.
After deciding there had to be a way to make them look "cool" and less medical/babyish we tried adding a patterned fabric to the top.
This was our first try. Junior thought it was great and much cooler then a plain old pad. It has now been through the wash and held up just fine.
Now for step by step pictures and directions.
This is a cloth/washable chux. In the picture it is folded over so you can see the front and back.
I laid the pad flat and covered the top with a piece of patterned flannel material. I then pinned it in place(stay close to the edge of the chux with the pins).
After being sure it is securely pinned in place I trimmed the patterned material so it is as close as possible to the exact size of the pad. As you can see in the picture it isn't trimmed perfectly but since I will be adding a edge it won't show.
I stitched around the entire edge of the pad. In my initial post about these pads I also showed stitching across the pad in a couple places. I realized that stitching across the pad may damage the integrity of the waterproof material. Yesterday before working on a few more pads for Junior I tried pouring water on one of these. Once I had poured an entire quart of water on the pad and let it sit for several minutes I did start seeing a little leaking at the seams. Junior never soaks his pads so we will continue to use the pads I have already made but from now on will make them differently.
So now I have adjusted how I add the material. I stitch around the edge of the pad, very close to the edge of the chux.
Lastly I added bias tape to the edge. I used the double fold bias tape and pinned it into place before stitching it on. I used a zig stitch to attach it. Thats all and it is finished.
With the leftover fabric I made a matching cloth for Junior's pillow. He sweats quite a lot so I always cover his pillow with a cloth. I also have stacks of these cloths on hand for wiping his mouth after coughs, putting under his face during tummy time, and various other things. Click HERE for a post about making these cloths.
Of course Junior thought he needed matching feeding tube pads as well. So he has spider underpads,mouth/pillow cloths, and feeding tube pads.
An Angry birds under pad.
On the recliner, doesn't match the flame sheet but at least it shows how it looks in use.
And how it looks when being used with a sleepy dude. UPDATE: 10/8/14
I have discovered that it is simpler to not put the bias tape around the edge. Instead I lay the patterned fabric upside down on top of the underpad stitch around the very edge leaving a small part not stitched. flip it right side out tuck under the spot you didn't stitch and stitch it under. Thats it done. Super easy and cuts down a step as well as cost. This little set was made for a friends birthday and the underpad was covered in the way I just mentioned(that is feeding tube pads and a drool cloth on the side)



I think I am going to have to take a sewing class so I can graduate from just sewing a semi-straight line! Love this idea!
ReplyDeleteNext time have Junior sew his own by controlling your sewing machine with a PowerLink and switch!!! Yee-haw! Awesome stuff!
ReplyDeleteI seriously was just talking to my other daughter that I wish our daughter that needs these could have pretty ones or something. Good for you! And thanks!
ReplyDeleteI seriously was just "whining" to someone lately that I wish the chucks my daughter has to use were prettier- not so medical.
ReplyDeletepretty nice blog, following :)
ReplyDelete