Junior has had a tough winter and when he isn't feeling well he only wants to hang out in his recliner. Though the recliner is comfortable it does not have the proper support for him. He has a Leckey high/ low chair as well as his wheelchair which he is fine in when well but can't stand when sick. I realized that when I cover his Leckey chair in blankets he tolerates it much better when not feeling well. I decided to try making a cover for his chair to see if that helped with his comfort. Here are some pics of his Leckey chair with the cover. It is two layers of fleece and a layer of cotton patterned material. There are snaps to hold it in place and openings are stitched into it so the lateral supports and hip straps can still be used.
Junior loves it and has used it a few times now when he is not feeling well. He tolerated it far better and was quite comfortable the whole time.
This morning I was cleaning out the closet and found a couple toys I had put away a couple years ago. Both are things Junior liked but could not operate himself so had gotten frustrated with. I had put them in the closet planning to give them away at some point.
I decided to try adapting them for Junior's switch.
Switch adapted light bright. The black tube is a new switch Junior's teacher brought him this past week.
Butterfly in a jar. Junior loved this when we got it but got upset because he couldn't move enough to trigger the motion activated sensor. I used a battery adapter and now his switch can trigger the motion sensor.





Hello, this is clever! Where did you get the butterfly?
ReplyDeletethe butterfly came from Big Lots several years ago. I have not seen them there recently but the butterflies are still available on Amazon.
DeleteHi Junior.
ReplyDeleteI love the butterfly idea! What would I search for to buy one? I think my class would enjoy it.
Thanks
actually if you just search for butterfly in a jar on amazon it will come up. I have not seen them lately in stores though.
DeleteGreat thankyou!
ReplyDeleteDo you ever use a powerlink? If so, do you have any fun suggestions?
yes, we use a powerlink frequently. One of Junior's favorite powerlink activities is sewing. I plug my sewing machine into it so he can sit with me and turn the machine on while I sew. He also loves it when I plug his tape player(with a story) and disco lights into it. He likes them both at the same time. Also the christmas tress is great for the powerlink. He even helps me make his blends for his tube feeds once in awhile with the powerlink.
Delete