Junior got the Angry Birds card game for Christmas. He has been sick so we haven't had a chance to play it but I did find a few minutes today to read the instructions and figure out how to make it work for Junior.We changed the game some and adapted it for Junior's needs.
The first step was adapting the dice to work on the switch adapted spinner.
I photo copied each side of the dice on 200%. The dice make the scanner cover stay open causing it to make a large part of the copy black which wasted a lot of ink. To avoid this I first put a sheet of white paper in the scanner with a small square cut out to set the dice in. I then cut out the copied dice picture and recopied it again at 200%.

I then used contact paper to laminate each square
I attached velcro to the back of each card so it could attach to the game spinner
The game has what they call power cards which can be used during the game. The way these are used is not something that would work for Junior so we picked out a couple of them and added them to the spinner. Changes the game a bit but doesn't change the "fun" factor.
I placed velcro on the back of the playing cards so they can be set up for the game. Each player gets 6 cards and lines them up, this is their "castle". You spin to knock down your "castle" and the player who knocks down all their cards has to knock down the green bird/pig.
Playing the card game the typical way you would actually flick the dice to knock over the pig(picture above next to the playing cards, there is a little stand for it if you aren't velcroing it like we did). Flicking a dice is not optional for Junior and though I could do hand over hand with him I would rather he be able to play as independently as possible.There are some green pig playing cards so we put velcro on the back of them and put them on the spinner at the end.
If the other person playing still has cards left we will just replace the "power cards" with the green pigs instead of putting them on the spinner alone.Ready to play
This is how we adapted the game to work for Junior but I am sure there are lots of other ways to make it work for your child's needs. I remember seeing an adaption to hold playing cards easier on a blog(though I haven't had time to hunt down the post) for those with motor issues but who can use their hands.Have you adapted games for your child's needs. I would love to see them and have you share them here so we can all learn.
Update: Thanks to Adapting Creatively for letting me know about their post on card holders. Here is the link: Card holders
Be sure to check out their other posts with awesome ideas and adaptions.


Today i spent a half hour telling my mom about this lady who does the most creative things for her son, and here you are posting! My mom is an artist and we both love magical thinking of any type...magical thinking that works, teaches and is useful. I love how creative you are. I am an special day class k-3 teacher who stumbled on your blog awhile ago. I read your blog for inspiration and encouragement to think outside the box for my students. While the things we do and face each day are very different, the love of being creative and making life better isn't! Thank you for taking the time to post.
ReplyDeleteThis is so wonderful! I just love your idea of cutting out holes for the sides of the dice to avoid printing shadows. You are so amazingly clever! Your results look very professional. Junior is going to have so much fun with his new game.
ReplyDeleteIf folks want ideas for playing card holders, I've put up a couple on my blog:
www.adaptingcreatively.blogspot.com
I accidentally bumped into your blog shortly after starting mine and have been hooked ever since! It is so terrific...your clever ideas and inspiration never fail to get my own cogs turning.
ReplyDeleteBecause of that, I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. You can grab the button over at my page and read the instructions for passing it along to other great blogs.
www.adaptingcreatively.blogspot.com