Friday, August 26, 2011

Casts and Bathing

This is something we are currently dealing with so thought I would share.

Junior is having serial casting done on both legs. Junior's ankles have gotten very tight so his AFOs are leaving marks and causing discomfort. The serial casting helps correct this without surgery. His ankle is put in the best position possible then a cast is placed on it. The cast is replaced each week until the proper position is obtained.
Casting and bathing don't mix so most days Junior is getting bed baths. He is one of those kids that sweats a great deal at night so though we may get away with a bed bath he still needs a real hair wash. After a lot of mess and trying to come up with a good solution I found this inflatable hair wash basin on Amazon(it is on sale at the moment).
Junior has a short neck and his head doesn't fit as far into the basin as it should but a rolled up towel behind his neck prevents too much mess.
The basin has a drain hole inside. I let the hose hang into a bucket so I don't have to worry about the basin over filling.



No comments:

Post a Comment