Junior's sensory room is not close to meeting the level of the actual "little room" but it worked great for him and was very inexpensive.
We started by figuring out how big it needed to be and then created a frame out of pvc. I just started cutting pieces and figuring out the best configuration for what I wanted.
This is what our frame ended up looking like. I will be sharing about another friends sensory room, in the coming week, which is made with a wood frame and turned out fantastic.
After the frame was created I added rope lights, star lights, beads, sparkly Christmas garland, mini wind chimes, and so much more. Lots of reflective items and also things that made noise.
I also added a tent type material over the top
Junior uses his on the floor or on his bed or this picture is on his mat table which we no longer have up.
When Junior was using his sensory room I typically placed a pie tin with large beads on it under his hands and feet. I want him to get the biggest possible feedback for any movement.
Junior has since outgrown his sensory room and we took it apart and turned it into his giant toy bar. Or currently still his planetarium.
covered in a space blanket and now he has his own planetarium/sensory space


Heidi that is just the coolest!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your great ideas. I always love a homemade item that serves such an important role. Plus, much less expensive than the store bought version. I am sure too that you have the self satisfaction that you made it with the things that Junior would enjoy. Thanks for the link to the active learning site - I enjoyed reading the 10 principles.
ReplyDeleteWOW WOW WOW! LOVE IT! where do you get the rope lights and star lights?? I can probably get beads soon cuz of Mardi gras time. Pie tins I ill try to find too. ANY tips on hat to get and use PLEASE share!
ReplyDelete