Thursday, September 1, 2016

Feeding bag adaptions part 2

My last post I shared how we had made a cover to hold Junior's feeding bag while at home. 
I used it for a couple days then changed a few things to make it work a bit better and made another one.  Hopefully these step by step pics will show a little more clearly how it was made. 

The first one required more frequent changing of the ice brick so one of the changes on this one was to put a double layer of fleece in the center before adding the PUL(water proof fabric).  I also made the bag a little wider and used more velcro so the bag was much better insulated.  I gave the bag a test run today and the ice brick now stayed frozen even longer then it did with the insulated back pack. 

So to start with I figured out the length and width I wanted the bag and cut 2 sets of matching fabric(also a change from the previous bag).  I cut the outer fabric and inner fabric to the same measurement but then cut the fleece shorter.  I laid the fabric with the fleece on the bottom then the PUL then the outer fabric(inside out).  Pinned the edges then stitched along both sides leaving the top and bottom open. 

The layers of fabric, this pic they have been flipped so the fleece is on top. 
 This pic shows how the fleece is not as long as the other fabric. 
 
Ends are left open.
 Then turn fabric right side up so the flames are now on the top and the PUL is on the bottom(you no longer see the fleece). 
Hem the ends of each(I folded them under then stitched across).
 Do this on both ends of both pieces.



Now place the end of your two pieces together(lay them one on top of the other) with the PUL fabric on the outside and stitch part way across from each side(just on one end).  This leaves  an opening for the top of your feeding bag.  I just slid the feeding bag in place then marked the fabric so I knew how big I wanted the opening.  The fleece being shorter then the other fabric meant I wasn't trying to sew through so many layers when I did this part. 
 Now flip the fabric so the patterned piece in this case the flames are on the outside. 
 Shown with the feeding bag end coming through the top. 
 With the feeding bag laid on the inside I figured out where I needed the pocket for the ice.  Then I cut a piece of the PUL fabric, hemmed the edges and stitched it to the inside of the bag.

 Figuring out the size.
 Pinned in place for stitching.
 Pic is sideways but this shows it with the ice pack inside it.
 Once I made sure it was how I wanted it by putting both the feeding bag and ice pack in it to test it I added the velcro. 
 I lined the bottom and sides with velcro.
 I then added a loop just using a piece of black shoe lace.  I made it fairly short so it keeps the cover up snug around the neck of the feeding bag.
 In this pic you can see both the bag covers I have made and how the flame one hangs higher up on the feeding bag neck then my previous one and is wider.  With the velcro lining the edges it is very easy to get the bag in and out and to swap out the ice brick when needed.  it also allows you to run the tubing out at whichever spot you need to.  After using this for a few days I am really liking it and finding it keeps the food cold and it is actually much easier to use then the back pack we had been using. 
Hopefully this wasn't completely confusing.  I basically just used the feeding bag as my measuring guide as I went so don't have real measurements for this.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial. I need to make a new bag for my son's tube feedings and got some good ideas from this!

    ReplyDelete