Saturday, January 3, 2015
Vent/Bipap Hose Covers
We have a great deal of trouble with condensation in Junior's vent hose. I was needing to get up multiple times a night to empty the line and this was even with a water trap in place to catch the condensation. I spoke to several trach/vent moms and it was suggested that I try covering the hoses. I decided to try making some covers and they ended up working well. I still have to empty the line during the night but much less frequently. Junior also thinks his covered vent hoses look very cool.
*Be sure that it is okay to cover your vent lines before doing this. I have one friend who told me because of the type of vent hose she has she cannot use covers on it. Talk to your child's doctor or respiratory therapist first.*
I was told you only need to make a cover for the long hose which goes from the humidifier to the water trap. We decided to also cover the shorter hose running from the water trap to Junior's trach connector.
To make the covers you will need two pieces of material. One that is 19" X 6" and a second that is 2 yards X 6".
Hem each end of each piece of material.
I then stitch on a piece of velcro, face up. Stitch the velcro on towards one side and stitch completely around the piece. Then add a second piece of velcro near the other side and this time stitch the piece face down and only stitch one end in place. The velcro could be added after the cover is complete but I find it much easier to add first.
Turn the material upside down and fold in half.
Stitch a seam down the entire side of each piece. Then turn the material right side out. This takes a little work but can be done.
Slide the hose in and then use the velcro to pull the material snug at the base of the hose.
Thats all there is to it.
Here are a few pics showing one of our covers in use. Ignore the writing on the pictures. These are pictures I am using in a "how to" booklet for Junior's daily medical gear.
This is showing the water trap which is between the two hoses which I made the covers for. This set up is clipped to Junior's bed at night.
There are actually 2 short hoses in our set up along with the long hose but I do not cover the hose running from the vent to the humidifier.
Some fun vent covers.
These are a gift for one of his friends, needed matching feeding tube pads of course.
Junior's vent was even ready for Christmas this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment