Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fall Reading Activity

Keeping Junior engaged and focused on certain school activities can be a challenge. I am always looking for ways to help him learn subjects like reading and math and keep it fun. 

Yesterday we made a fall sensory bin and turned it into a reading activity.  Nothing fancy but Junior did well with it so I thought I would share it here.

I found containers of small plastic acorns, pumpkins, and leaves in dollar section at Target and they were just perfect for this.  I also used some leaves made from cloth that were in our craft closet from last year. 
This picture makes all the objects look flat but the acorns and pumpkins were round.
 Our fall sensory bin.  I want to try to find some little turkeys, apples, and other fall items to add to it.
 
I printed up some fall words and I will be adding more to this list in the coming weeks. 
 First Junior enjoyed putting his hands in the bin and feeling all the objects. 
I then helped him grab and object and had him match the object with the correct word on the board.


I then added some foam letters to our sensory bin and covered a letter on each of our fall words.  I  folded a piece of card stock so it fit around the laminated word card on our felt board so it can be slid across to cover any of the letters in the word.
 Junior then picked a letter out of the bin and had to show me the word it went with.  In the picture he had picked out the f and was showing me that it goes with the word leaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment