We love games and memory has always been a favorite. When I first introduced Junior to the game several years ago he was not terribly impressed but recently we tried it again and he loves it.
With Memory it is important that Junior be able to see the cards during the game so putting them on a table top is not an option. This is Junior's Game easel and it gets used a lot.

I
did not have the tools so had to have this made but it is a very simply
made item. A wood frame with a plexiglass front and bottom
attached(one of these days I am going to have space for tools so I can
do more of this myself). Pretty much any easel type surface with velcro
strips would work.The game easel has strips of velcro on it so I then placed a small piece of velcro on both sides of the memory cards(you will find we use velcro very, very, very, often).
Add our pointer and we are ready to play
I
typically tell Junior to show me which card he wants to turn over. He
will then look at that part of the board and I will then use the pointer
to point out specific cards and he will use his yes/no to let me know
the exact card he wants.

Update 9/2013
Junior continues to enjoy playing memory but we have had to find some sets that don't look so babyish. The game shown in the pictures above he now refuses to play because it looks like a baby game.
We were able to find a couple memory games that have a super hero theme and he thinks those are very cool.
We also now use his felt board/puzzle board for playing. It allows him to play when not up in his chair and is very lightweight so I can even hold it up if needed(as far as game play he still plays in the same way described in the original post above.
Here he is in his recliner playing one of his super hero memory games using the felt board.
This is the most recent "big kid" memory game I was able to find. I don't have pictures of him playing it yet but he really likes it. Each card looks like the cover from a comic book.


This is amazing!
ReplyDelete