Friday, May 17, 2013

Whats For Dinner

This may not really fall under adaptions but I have shared on this blog about how we switched from formula to the blended diet.   I just posted this post on Junior's regular blog so thought I would share it here as well. 

I love all the fresh fruits and veggies that are starting to become available as the weather warms up.
It is great to know Junior is getting all that healthy goodness in his feeding tube instead of the corn syrup and oil filled formula.
I took a few pictures tonight as I was making his dinner so I could share the steps to get it from the plate to his feeding tube.

Tonight he is having a grilled turkey burger, quinoa, and various fresh vegetables. I generally fix 2 meals at a time and one goes in the freezer for another day.  Junior doesn't get much meat so that turkey burger is two meals worth. 
 Everything in the blender, the green on top is an avocado.  I added pedialyte tonight to thin his blend.  Sometimes we use nut milks, or rice milk(which I usually use pedialyte to make) but because of his sodium issue we don't use plain water.
 Straining his mix, Junior's blend goes through his feeding pump and into his J tube so this is a necessary part of fixing his meals and I actually run it through the strainer twice.
 Ready to be poured into his feeding bag.
Dinner time, this will run overnight so will have a large ice brick with it inside the insulated bag. 
 
 Still amazes me that the blender came take it from right off the plate to ready for the feeding bag with such little effort.  We love our blendtech blender.
  


We have a stationary suction machine next to Junior's bed.  The canister for this machine is right out in the open and for those not used to it, it can be pretty nasty to see.  I finally had a few minutes to work on making some covers tonight.  This is my first one and is my test pattern.  The part around the canister came out the right size but I need to make it shorter.  I just used scrap material to figure out how I was going to make them but Junior wants some camo covers. 
I will do a real post in the future showing more about the suction canister covers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment