They are just right for him and keep his t-shirt in place to avoid marks on his back from his back brace. I have needed onesies for awhile but after pricing some that would fit him I realized there was no way we could afford them.
Thank you Deana at Monster Max for allowing me to share your idea here. Please click this link to visit her blog post which has a tutorial.
Here are some pictures I took while I tried making the onesies today. I made a few as I worked out just the right length for Junior and made some adjustments to meet his needs. Junior had some youth size onesies we had gotten several years ago. They are now far too small for him but the legs still fit just fine, if they had been snug I would have stretched them some(leg size could be an issue if your child has thicker thighs). I am not sure if the regular children's onesies(I think the largest those come is 4 T)could be stretched enough to work for Junior or not but am going to try one in the near future.
Cutting the bottom off the old onesie
the t-shirt I am going to use, since these are undershirts they also have the feeding tube opening.
Onesie inside out and slid over the bottom of the t-shirt(oops I just realized this picture shows the t-shirt also inside out, I ended up not doing it that way and the onesie is the only thing I had inside out)
I sewed a seam around the bottom, then folded the onesie down and its done.
I made another a little shorter. Both fit Junior but the yellow one has a bit of growth space. I also made another one and went with the longer length like the yellow one.
Junior wearing one of them this afternoon. You can't even tell he has a onesie on.
Update 4/10/13
I decided to try making some with the much cheaper 24 month size onesies and wow you wouldn't believe how much those things can stretch. I stretched them prior to sewing them in place and they work great, again if your child has larger hips this may not work but they fit Junior perfect.
This pic is of t-shirt onesies made with size 8 t-shirts and size 24month onesies.
Update 1/15/14
Junior had a big growth spurt and suddenly has outgrown the onesies I made only a few months ago. This time when I made them I tried an idea from another mom. She used baby onesies, cut them off then also cut down the sides so there is not the issue with the hips being too small.
Cut the sides so you end up with 2 separate pieces then hem each edge.
I then stitched the "tails" to the t-shirt and thats it. Since we are using these to keep Junior's shirt in place under his brace these are perfect. If you need them to keep hands out of diapers then this may not be a good option.



Looks great! I'm so glad it worked out!!
ReplyDeleteI will try to make some with the tubie button holes too for Max. We usually just snake the extension down to the leg part then back up to hang over his waistband.
Great idea! I'd love to link to your post if I may, as the problem of finding larger onesies comes up regularly in my cicle.
ReplyDeleteSomething I especially like about this solution is that it provides the benefit of a onesie with just a single layer, which is important in summer and for kids who have difficulty cooling themselves down. Great!
feel free to link to any posts
DeleteI have tried and tried to make my own onsies for my daughter. I love to sew, but I hate trying to put on snaps (the little snap pliers never work right).
ReplyDeleteThen I find a link to your blog on another site (a facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/193089027492954/) as I browsed, I found this post.
LOVE! My daughter also wears about a size 8 tee-shirt, and I am sure I have a ton of her old onsies. Going to start fixing them up!
Thank you so much for this! I love to sew, and have tried many times to make onesies for my daughter. I can never get the snaps right, never get the size just right (modifying a tee shirt by cutting out as a onesie).
ReplyDeletethis is so easy! My daughter is also a size 8, and I'm sure I have a bunch of old onsies packed away.