Thursday, January 17, 2013

AFO Slippers

Junior's latest AFOs have created quite an issue when it comes to finding something to go over them.  These braces are so much bigger and nothing works over them.  In an earlier post I shared the slipper boots we had adapted for them but they are not the easiest to get on so are just used when we go out. 
Not too long ago I came upon the website for Piggy Warmers and they make toe covers for those in casts.  Great product and so cute, we tried some with Junior and they worked just perfect when it wasn't too cold(they will certainly get lots of use).  Be sure to check them out and if you need a cast cover to keep your toes warm they are just perfect.   

As the temps got colder my little icy feet boy needed something that went all the way over his foot since the brace has a small hole in the heel where cold was sneaking in. I saw some baby booties and thought that is the type thing we need but in a heavy fleece and I wanted them to stay on so they would need elastic around the top. 
After a few tries we finally got something that would work over Junior's brace, is very easy to get on and off, and stays on.  Just don't tell Junior it is basically a giant baby sock/booty.  These are very simple to make and even with my limited seamstress skills I whipped out about 5 pairs in an hour.

I started off by measuring and figuring out how big it needed to be for Junior's braces, something that would vary by your childs size.  Remember I am definitely not a seamstress so don't look to close at my stitching.  I would love to take some sewing lessons some day but at the moment they don't fit into my budget. 

My square of material.
 The material is folded in half, the material should be inside out when it is folded.
 Then trimmed down the edge a bit and added a rounded edge at one end. 
 Then I stitched along the rounded edge and one side(the other side is the folded edge so no stitching necessary), leaving the top open.
 I folded the top edge over leaving about an inch between the top edge and seam.
 
 I then cut a small slit between the seam and top edge(just through one of the layers of material). I then slid a piece of elastic through the slit and around the top of the slipper. 
 I added stitches on each side where the elastic meets(my machine goofed up here so the stitching is very off in the picture).   I made the elastic fairly tight so the slipper will stay on over the slippery brace. 
 Flip the slipper inside out so the seams are now hidden inside and that's it. 
 A few of Junior's AFO slippers, his favorites are the penguin pair.  You can kind of see the changes I made as I played around with making these.  We started with shorter ones and then decided longer worked best. 
 I made them so they go up to within a few inches of the top of his braces.
   
Junior is very pleased with them and he can wear them with or without his braces

No comments:

Post a Comment