Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Can't Live Without - Suction Machine

I can't believe that I did not put our suction machine in one of our "can't live without" posts.  I think we use it so often that it is just part of things so I didn't even think to add it.

Junior has a lot of excess secretions in  his lungs so a suction machine is a necessary and very important piece of medical equipment in our home.  When he coughs he may have trouble clearing the mucous on his own so needs to be suctioned.

Today our supply company sent out a new machine since Junior's old one is barely holding a charge anymore.  I was surprised when I opened the box to find one that looked quite different from our old one.  It is the newer model of the Devillbiss called the Devillbiss Vacuaide QSU  . I decided I would share them both and compare them a bit.
The grey one in the picture is his old machine and we have had it for many years, it has worked well with rarely a problem.  The newer one is larger and a bit heavier but also has more power.  The suction power max on the old machine is 550 and the max on the new machine is 750.  The old machine has a non disposable canister which can be put in the dishwasher and we get replacements every 6 months.  The new machine has disposable canisters that are changed at least monthly(we will be attempting to get insurance to auth enough for a weekly change since they can be emptied and washed but not disinfected as well as the old style canister).  So far I like the new machine but have only used it for one day so will update this post in a few weeks after we have really used it.  So far the only thing I don't care for with this machine is the carry case.  The machine fits in it nicely but there is absolutely no room for anything else.  We will be using a different bag so we can put extra supplies and other things we need while out in it. 
The two machines side by side
 A close up of the new machine.  The pressure gauge is also the nob to adjust the pressure setting of the machine. 
  

This video shows the difference in noise level of the machines.  We have had the new one for just one day and I have already accidentally left it on because it was so quiet.  This will make a big difference when Junior is ill.  When he is ill a sudden noise can set off seizures or startles which make suctioning a challenge. 

1 comment:

  1. wow that is so much quieter! We are pretty much at where I need to start bringing the suction with us everywhere. I have noticed a quick suction before bed leads to a much more restful night.

    ReplyDelete