Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Can't Live Without" - Blender

Junior is on the blended diet which means that he eats the same foods I do but they are blended and put through his feeding tube.  The foods he gets are put through his feeding pump and Junior has a j-tube so the food must be very smooth or it will clog the tube(for a child with a g-tube they can sometimes bolus feed). 
When Junior started this diet a year ago we were using a regular blender and it took me hours to prepare his meals.  Finally a few months later we were able to purchase a heavy duty blender and it is absolutely a "can't live without" item for anyone using the blended diet.  There are a few different brands that I have heard great things about and we went with the Blendtec brand(Vitamix is another brand commonly used with the blended diet). 


I can take a meal like this and add some coconut or almond milk 
  Put it through the blender, strain it and it is ready to go in the feeding bag
In the feeding bag

Packed in the back pack with ice packs and ready for the night
I also prepare many foods ahead now and freeze them.  Here are some servings of many different vegetables all blended and ready for the freezer. I also do this with grains, meats, fruits, etc.  I also fix full meals and freeze them for those days when things are too busy.

2 comments:

  1. how wonderful you're feeding a healthy diet like that.
    i have a question: if you strain the food, that means he's on a low fiber diet?
    thanks and good luck!
    ps, i'm choosing anonymous because i have no idea how to work the rest of them! i am a parent of a child with angelman syndrome. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and thanks so much for visiting our blog. Actually Junior is on a fairly high fiber diet. The blender we have can blend pretty much any food to nearly completely smooth. We have very little left(and sometimes nothing) left in the strainer. Prior to getting the heavy duty blender we did lose much of the blender with straining because our regular blender was just unable to blend smooth enough. It has been a huge learning experience for us.

      Delete