I figured out what we would need to make it work for Junior and today I finally had some time to put it together.
For the light box version we made for Junior you will need: a under the bed type tote(we used the 28 quart, 6 inch high size), an under the cupboard light, white spray paint, silver spray paint(both the type for painting plastic), white duct tape, painters tape, paper, and some type of tool or knife to cut a notch in the tote for the cord.
I thought I had taken pics before painting the tote but I didn't.
I cut a notch out of the edge for the light cord before starting. After the notch was cut I put tape around it so there were no sharp edges, you could also sand it.
(I did not get a before pic so this was taken after the box was painted)
Place paper in the bottom of the tote and use the painters tape to hold it in place.
Then spray paint the inside of the tote with the white paint. Let it dry and paint it with a second coat of the white.
After the second coat dries paint it with a coat of the silver paint(I used two coats of the silver as well)
Once the paint is dry, carefully remove the tape and paper.
Place the light diagonally across the inside of the lid and secure it with the duct tape.
I had somehow managed to get a bit of paint on the bottom so had to use some alcohol and scrub what I could off(beware, paint for plastic dries quickly and is very, very difficult to get off things including your skin, I still have white painted fingers tonight).
This next part is optional
I decided to decorate each of the sides with something Junior loves.
Here is the baseball side(the camera flash made the light look a bit strange)
I really had a great time making this and can't wait until Christmas morning when Junior gets to see it. I am considering switching the duct tape holding the light in place to velcro. That way I can purchase some battery operated lights for those times when we are not close to a plug in. I can then just swap lights depending on our needs. I will post an update once I get that part done.


Fantastic idea!! He's going to love it!
ReplyDeleteThat is a really great idea! It turned out nice and I am sure that he will love it.
ReplyDeleteThat is a really great idea! It turned out nice and I am sure that he will love it.
ReplyDeleteThis is really nice! I vote along with your thought to swap out for Velcro to hold the light so you can use a battery-powered light and use it wherever the mood strikes.
ReplyDeleteHmmm...I could really use one of these in my craft room. :0) It's very cool--lucky Junior!
Have a Merry Christmas!