Thursday, June 10, 2010

Experiencing Life Differently, Space (part 1)

A few months ago Junior did a unit in school on space. It was a bit of a challenge to make all the activities revolve around the theme but he loved it and had a great time taking trips to the planets.
In his reading we learned words that had to do with space and/or flight. For example: Jet, wind, moon, sky, etc. Reading was the one area we also continued his regular curriculum.

Math was much easier to fit into our space theme. Nasa has a fantastic website with lots of great materials for students of all ages and abilities. We used their 3...2...1... Liftoff! Educators Guide for many activities. This one called The Right Order was one Junior really enjoyed. It teaches about the order in which a space shuttle launch takes place and then has pictures to color and sequence. This activity has a large rocket shape as well as several small rocket shapes. We used these for addition and subtraction by adding a number to each rocket shape.
We printed off their rocket sheets and compared their sizes, counted them, and placed them in the correct order. Of course during this we also talked about the rockets, what they were for, what they carry, their names, etc.
Junior has been working quite a bit on addition and subtraction so the all time biggest hit with him was Meteorite Math. I did a post about it earlier so click the picture to read all about it.

In our next post I will share more about our space activities

Now for all my wonderful blog friends I need some ideas. We have decided that Junior's next school unit will be farms(with a little old west thrown in, his teacher brought him some great stuff which we want to work into our lessons). I want to include learning about growing things but also farm animals(Junior loves, loves, loves all things with animals, as long as the cats stay away, he is terrified of cats).Now how to visit a farm at home is the big challenge. We will be starting this unit in July so I am starting to gather ideas and materials now. I would love any ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Heidi, I have a friend in Virginia who had a traveling petting zoo come to her house because she couldn't get her son and all his gear to the farm.

    I think I remember you are in NorCal...
    http://www.ponyupfun.com/travelnpettingzoo.html

    Maybe they could just bring one or two animals so you don't have a full zoo there! :)

    I know here in Colorado, there are a few programs where people bring therapy animals to kids...horses, llamas, dogs, etc. Maybe the children's hospital, or shriner hospital will know of some programs.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about hatching chicks My sister did that for the farm unit when they had it in kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you get some rafia to hang on his toy bar? it kind of looks like hay/straw. Can some reading words be farm words like: cow, grow, horse, pig, plant, farm, barn, hatch, chick, harvest, hay, straw, chickens, chicks, chirp, moo, oink.

    you could do meteorite math but decorate the wiffle balls like they are a farm animal, the easiest I can think of is a pig.

    What about watching a video about a farm (a virtual field trip video),
    What could be more farm related than milking a cow. This hands on activity really builds those muscles in young hands. Take a rubber glove (thicker is better) and pierce 2-3 fingers with a large needle. Fill the glove 1/2 way with watered down tempra paint. Tie off at the wrist and attach to one side of a paint easel. (This becomes the udder of the cow). Next decorate your easel to look like a Holstein cow.

    This is something to do if a farm trip is out of the question and your students are begging. The way is a pretend farm trip. Tie apples- (Or red tissue paper) onto something, like the handle of a cupboard, and cut animals out of large pieces of construction paper, and do several things like that. And, if it is possible, put a bit of straw in a wagon for hay rides. I did this, my children loved it, and the principal thought it was very cute!
    (these are from a website.)

    you could modify the milking the cow idea to work for junior, it would be so cute!

    plant grass seed and lima beans in plastic cups, make butter, do math with piggy bank themes,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matching baby and adult animals - calf to cow, piglet to pig, etc.

    Types of work done on a farm and who does them
    Types of things grown on a farm (have him plant something! If you have a switch activated pouring device, he could pour the dirt into the container, pour the seeds into the dirt, water the plants, etc.

    That's all I can think of right now, but if I think of anything else I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete