This is a post from Junior's regular blog that shares about our new seat which is definitely and adaption/modification so I wanted to share it here as well. This is from a few weeks ago so I am including a quick update at the end to share how we like it now that we have been using it longer.
On Friday we had the new seat put in my car for Junior. He is now
about 90 lbs and we had been trying to figure out a better way to get
him in the car for outings. A wheelchair accessible van would be
optimal but is not a financially feasible option so we needed to find
something that would help and not require us to purchase a new vehicle.
A
few months ago an assessment was done and they looked at our current
vehicle and Junior's needs and the options available to help. We
discussed that it is not the lifting that is the big issue but the
leaning over into the car while lifting my 90 lb boy. They recommended a
rotating transfer seat(called a Bruno Valet seat), something I had
heard of but did not think could be put in a small car. This seat
rotates and slides forward so that Junior is for the most part outside
the car for transfers. It removes the need to lean over into the car
while lifting him. He has used it a couple times now and we are
learning the ropes and how it works best for him. The first time we
tried it I was concerned because it took some serious maneuvering to get
his feet into place during the seat rotation. Since then I have had a
chance to play with things a bit and learn that the seat does not have
to be so far forward to rotate out of or into the car. Yesterday he had
an appointment and transfers were much smoother and I was pleased with
how it worked for him. I can now lift him from his chair turn and sit
him down on the car seat. It allows me to be in a proper position to
lift and transfer him and my back is oh so much happier now.
Junior
was exhausted after his appointment yesterday, as you can see in the
pics, but this gives you an idea of how the seat functions. Once the
weather is better I will get some pics/video of it in action.
So
thankful for a program like Regional Center which provided funding and
gave us this new tool to help Junior live life to the fullest. We are
blessed.
*Update* 3/19/16 We have had a busy few weeks with doctors appointments so Junior's new seat has gotten a great deal of use. Junior is on the short side at 4'8" and I noticed he seemed at a bit of an odd position when in the seat. When I realized it was from the lumbar support hitting him high I ran to Walmart to see what we could figure out to help. They had a memory foam seat cushion specifically for the car so I gave it a try. Just 2 inches of rise to his seat and he looks far better and is now quite happy and comfy in the seat even for our lengthy drives to appointments. The difference in lifting him is huge, not that he is any lighter but not having to lean into the car to transfer him is such a difference. I was curious to see if it would really make a difference in things with repeated use and it absolutely has. I get back from a day out where I have needed to transfer/lift him multiple times and am not completely exhausted. I have also learned that putting his car harness on while he is in the "out of car" position in the seat is much quicker and easier. Getting out is less stressful meaning we feel like we can get out more often and enjoy life with Junior.
Junior enjoying his seat, he has his back brace on which is why he is able to sit so nicely in the seat like that. Also with him being short we use a head rest from his old car seat which is the blue you see behind his head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment