Saturday, April 4, 2015

Mini Basketball Hoop and Ramp

Now that Junior is older the typical Easter basket is not something he gets very excited about. He can't eat candy and it can be hard to find things to fill his basket that he will actually use.
I did a little hunting and happened to spot this mini, over the door, basketball hoop on clearance.  My first thought was "perfect Junior will love it".  Then I got it and had to figure out how in the world I could adapt it so he could reach it and actually enjoy it.

The basketball hoop is THIS one which can be found on Amazon. 
I discovered that an IV pole was perfect to make the hoop accessible for Junior and then the height can be adjusted. 
The challenge was how to hang the hoop.  I found a large dowel in my closet from something we weren't using(PVC might work as well if it wasn't too thin).  The pieces on the back of the hoop which are made to go over the back of a door easily hook on the wooden dowel.This set up can also be easily removed from the IV pole in case you need it for something else.
 I put the dowel with the basketball hoop attached over the upper cross bar on the IV pole.  Then I used two elastic straps with velcro stitched onto them to hold it in place.  It stayed in place without the elastic but I think with much motion it could be knocked down.
I could help Junior throw the ball but I like to allow him to do as much independently as possible.
He can push with his arm so with minimal help he can roll the ball into the hoop with a ramp.
He has a larger bowling/basketball ramp that we use outside for his larger hoop or inside for bowling but it is too long for this one.  Here is a post I did several years ago about how to make our original larger ramp.  This new one is made exactly the same way only shorter.   You could adjust to the size your need.
Here is a picture of both ramps side by side so you can see the difference in size. This time I wrapped the ramp in Ninja Turtle duck tape instead of the orange. 
  
This basket ball hoop has a spring so propping the ramp on it is not an issue.
 Finished product.
Can't wait to show Junior his Easter surprise tomorrow.
Update:  Now that Junior has played with his new hoop I will give a quick update. 
He loves it and it worked well.  Our only glitch was when I was lowering the hoop the bottom edge caught on the bolt on the iv pole and lifted enough to dislodge from the dowel.  Secure during play so not a huge issue but I am going to figure out something to either put over the pieces on the back of the hoop that are over the dowel or maybe put some of the industrial strength velcro on the dowel and underside of the pieces.  Velcro is likely easiest and should hold well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment