Monday, January 13, 2014

Robe Adaption

A few years ago Junior got a very nice fleece robe for Christmas.  He loves his camo robe but it is just too hard to get on him now.  With the high neck it doesn't work to just put it on backwards.  Recently I was doing our usual adaptions to his fleece jackets so they open in the back and thought why not try that with the robe.  It worked great.  I first stitched the front closed and removed the tie/belt.  In the picture below the front has been stitched closed.  I stitched up to a few inches below where the material meets at the neck.

I then laid it face down cut down the back of the robe.

 I zig stitched the cut edges and that was it.  Since it is for relaxing at home there is no need for velcro in the back we just tuck it.  Basically we turned a robe into a snuggie.  I do plan to add bias tape over the cut edge in the future.  I tried it this time on his fleece jackets and it makes it look so much more finished.
I will add a picture of Junior with it on the next time he wears it.  It has not been cold enough for it lately.
Updated:1/16/14
Junior trying out his robe.  In the bottom corner pic you can also see that I added bias tape to the edges of the back.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you are blogging regularaly any more or not, but I just found your blog and am LOVING your adaptations! my son is almost 6, has aegeneis of the corpus colosum, severe motor delays, cp, nonverbal, CVI, etc. I've been looking into adapting some of his clothes to make them easier to put on, and maybe some of his shirts so you can actually see his clothes past the chest harness. Thanks so much! Loving things like the sensory tray too. it's hard for us to know what he likes as he doesn't really communicate much but we pray that will come more. It sounds like you homeschool? I'd love to hear more about that, I homeschool my son's 7 year old older sister, but he attends life skills classes, I'm not sure I'd be able to give him what he needs with caring for/teaching his brother and 2 sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there yes we have been homeschooling for many years now. with Junior's medical issues a classroom was not an option for him. He does have a teacher from the district that comes to our home a few hours a week. She works on whatever we have already been working on. I have some of our homeschool stuff posted on this blog and Junior also has a fb group called Junior's Voice where we share about his communication and educational things. I don't blog as often on this blog but you can visit his personal blog where I blog several times a week.

      Delete