I decided to use the same foam board base but cover it with felt. I initially was just going to stitch items in place but started thinking how limiting that was on what could be added. I instead decided to attach elastic and velcro loops to the board so we can now put anything we want on the board. Junior's favorite thing is that not only can he have sensory items but now we can add toys as well and change them according to what he wants. I plan to put fall items on it the next couple months then Christmas sensory items.
This first board was my test run so I did not get many pictures of the process. I am working on one for Junior's buddy and another for his teacher so will update with more pictures of how I made this in the future. 10/14/13: adding some pics.
I started like I did with the first version and cut out 2 pieces of foam board into the shape of Junior's tray. I again used duck tape to hold them together though I didn't completely cover them, just enough to hold them tightly.
If you have a child with a lot of tone who stiffens their arms into things and you plan to have this just on their lap you may want to use something firmer and less likely to bend for the inner board then the foam board. I put a small pillow on Junior's lap under his or have it on his wheel chair tray so have not had an issue with it bending.
I placed the foam board on top of a folded piece of felt and then cut the felt in the same shape being sure to leave several extra inches at the top and a couple inches at the bottom and sides for the seam.
I then stitched just across the bottom including the cutout in the front. I left the sides and top open. I placed the foam board inside just to check position and left it there while I pinned strips of wide ribbon(it was about 2 inches wide). Leaving the foam board in placed made it much easier to pin the ribbon because I didn't have to worry about accidentally pinning it to the back piece of felt as well.
I used 5 ribbon strips but of course you could vary that for your needs. I also went with black like the board so that the items I place on the board will really stand out.
I then used 3/8 inch elastic which I cut into various lengths and sewed velcro to each end to make loops.
Elastic pinned on and ready to sew in place. Ignore the threads, I waited until after all the elastic strips were sewn on before going back and trimming the threads off.
After attaching the loops I turned the material inside out and stitched the sides. Then turned it right side out again and stitched a strip of velcro across the felt at the top of the board. I slid the foam board inside the cover, pulled it snug, then tucked the corners in and secured it with the veclro(the rough part of the velcro will stick right to the felt). I used hot glue on the bottom piece but am going to try and figure out a better way, possibly some strips of the stick-on velcro to hold the corners tucked. Using velcro would allow me to remove it for washing if needed. Again sorry I didn't get pictures of this part and will be sure to get some and post them soon.
I am considering adding a layer of pillow stuffing(this would be under the foam board so would not change the top at all) that would make the bottom of the tray more like a pillow when it is sitting on his lap(or maybe just getting a piece of foam I can slide in the back when needed).
Here is the finished board with sensory items as well as some of Junior's toys attached. A trip to the dollar store was perfect for finding a few of these items. This board has 18 loops.
Junior is very pleased with it. The yellow bumpy item he is holding is actually a dog toy but he really likes how it feels and if he pushes his arm it makes noise.
Today I found this toy and it is perfect for his board. I found it in the baby section at Target which Junior would be quite upset by(if he knew) but with it being shaped like a football he thinks it is very cool. It is also very easy for him to hold onto. The skies the limit on what you could put on the board.
This is the girl version I just finished as a birthday gift for one of Junior's buddies.



Love your ideas here. I used to do something very similar for my son's wheelchair trays. Because he already had the sturdy plexiglass tray, I just created covers that securely attached, usually with a flap along the outer edge, and velcro tabs that could attach to industrial strength velcro spots on the underside of the tray on the tray near his lap. Sometimes decorative placemats from Target with seasonal elements were the base. I used girl's elastic hair ties (in less girly colors) sewed to the mat as ways to attach a lot of different things-- lots of your sensory toys look very familiar, and yes, we did use pet toys sometimes too ; )
ReplyDeleteJunior's a happy boy-- your creations look great!
Really cute, Heidi. Definitely looks like it is ready for her -- love the "B".
ReplyDeleteFelicidades por esta buena idea. Puede que la intente copiar para mis alumnos. Saludos
ReplyDeleteque buena idea, me encanta para mi hijo. Un abrazo desde EspaƱa (Spain).
ReplyDeletegood idea to me , I love my son . A hug from Spain (Spain )