When I started this set of posts on things we "can't live without" I had not planned to include medical machines. I decided that with the huge impact the airway vest and cough assist have had on Junior's health I would include them. I know most of what I am sharing in our "can't live without" posts are not adaptions but it lets others know what is available and what we(or others) have found most helpful.
My last post was about the airway vest and this post is about the
cough assist which goes hand in hand with the vest. After Junior's nebulizer and vest treatment he gets a cough assist treatment.
The vest treatment loosens the gunk in his lungs and helps it move to his upper airways. The cough assist helps get it out. The cough assist has a mask that fits over Junior's mouth, air goes into his mouth then is rapidly sucked back out mimicking a cough. This should make Junior cough though it often does not. Even when he does not cough a huge amount of mucus is pulled into his mouth so it can be suctioned away.

Junior doesn't mind and in fact likes his other treatments but the cough assist he can't stand. Thankfully it doesn't take much time and if we count each "cough/breath" he tolerates it okay. Now that he has his tubie monkey it helps a great deal for us to pretend monkey is also getting a treatment.


monkey getting his cougher

What "can't you live without". I would love to have you share.
No comments:
Post a Comment