Gait Trainer and Treadmill Therapy
Junior had his PT evaluation a couple weeks ago but then his asthma was so bad we couldn't start the therapy. Today was his first session and it went so well. He started with a good stretch then worked on some sitting. He has lots of "homework" to do before next weeks session.
Then it was time to try out the walker and treadmill. We got Junior all set up and in the walker, this walker is so neat. It supports him as much as needed and can be placed over a treadmill(it is called the LiteGait Jr).
The therapist told me she didn't expect to see any muscle activation during this first session and just wanted him to get used to the walker. Well after a few minutes the therapist said that she could feel muscle activation. Wow, woohoo go Junior. He will be working on weight shifting and pushing with his legs over the coming weeks. The goal being getting Junior into a special walker that moves very easily so just him pushing or shifting his weight could move it.
Leaving for therapy this morning, he was looking a little tired but was very excited.
In the walker and looking very serious as he works hard
Junior on a treadmill, wow, I never thought I would see this. I am overjoyed that he is getting this therapy and so proud of him. He is determined to get the most out of life, if only everyone had his attitude. 
Today I saw a lot of hope, I saw the possibility that with some work Junior could move himself. No his legs aren't suddenly going to start working, he is not going to "walk" in the typical sense of the word. But that doesn't mean he can't learn to use his legs to help move around. I can't wait to see how Junior does with his therapy.


GO Junior!!! This is so wonderful! It will benefit you so much, even if traditional "walking" isn't part of the picture. It's still great for you...and who knows just how far-reaching the benefits will be? Any assistance you can give your mom with those getting-stronger legs of yours will make things that much easier for her.
ReplyDelete